The 5th Session of the 13th Hubei Provincial People’s Congress was opened on January 24, 2021. Wang Xiaodong, the provincial governor, delivered the work report on behalf of Hubei provincial government. Here are the highlights of the government work report:
2020 in review
Winning the historic battle against the COVID-19 epidemic
- A total of 37.8 million nucleic acid tests have been carried out.
- No new local confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported for more than 8 consecutive months.
Recovering from the historic test of COVID-19 epidemic
- GDP has regained to above 95 percent of the previous year.
- Imports and exports have bucked the trend with a growth rate of 8.8 percent.
- 750,000 new jobs have been created in urban areas.
- A net increase of 294,000 households in market entities has been achieved.
- High-tech enterprises have outnumbered 10,000.
- Total grain output has reached 54.5 billion catties.
- Scale of new social financing exceeded 1 trillion yuan for the first time.
- Ten major projects for post-epidemic revitalization, with a total investment of 230 million yuan, have started construction.
Achieving a historic success in building a well-off society
- 58,000 poor people have been lifted out of poverty.
- Proportion of people's livelihood expenditure continues to remain above 75 percent.
- Point-to-point transport of 700,000 people to work has been carried out.
- Temporary price subsidies have been disbursed to 23.32 million people.
- Medical burden of the masses has been reduced by 4.38 billion yuan.
- 49,000 shantytown renovations have been completed.
The 13th Five-Year Plan period (2016-2020) in review
Great leap in comprehensive strength
- GDP has broken 4 trillion-yuan mark.
- Number of civilized cities nationwide has increased to 10.
- Number of top 100 counties in the country has increased to 7.
Great advancement in infrastructure
- A number of landmark projects such as the first phase of water resources allocation in northern Hubei, the Wuhan-Shiyan high-speed railway, and the third phase of Tianhe Airport have been completed and put into use.
- Full coverage of 4G network and the promotion of 5G applications have been achieved.
Great improvement in development quality and efficiency
- Added value of service industry has accounted for more than 50 percent.
- Market entities have increased to 5.71 million.
Great breakthrough in reform and opening up
- Number of new enterprises in China(Hubei) Pilot Free Trade Zone has exceeded 60,000.
- Great development has been achieved in people's livelihood and welfare.
Work for 2021
Main targets for 2021
- Regional GDP growth of more than 10 percent
- More than 700,000 new jobs in urban areas
- Urban survey unemployment rate of about 6 percent
- Consumer prices up about 3 percent
- Steady increase in residents' income
- Energy consumption per unit of GDP down by about 2.5 percent
- Continuing decline in main pollutant emissions
- Grain output of above 50 billion catties
Main tasks for 2021
- Consolidating the sustained economic recovery
- Enhancing the supporting capacity for technological innovation
- Promoting the optimization and upgrading of the industrial chain and supply chain
- Pushing forward coordinated regional development
- Making greater efforts to promote reform and opening up
- Comprehensively propelling rural revitalization
- Continuing to do a good job in pollution prevention and ecological construction
- Striving to protect and improve people's livelihood
Work for the 14th Five-Year Plan period
1) Targets for the 14th Five-Year Plan period
- Aggregate economic volume to exceed 6 trillion yuan
- Urbanization rate of the permanent population to reach 65 percent
- Residents' per capita disposable income growth to basically keep up with economic growth
2) Main tasks for the 14th Five-Year Plan period
- Relieving difficulties for enterprises
- Further releasing consumption potential
- Building a high-level innovation platform
- Optimizing the industrial supply chain
- Accelerating the promotion of new urbanization
- Continuing to optimize the business environment
- Improving the level of agricultural industrialization
- Deepening the protection of the Yangtze River
- Promoting the high-quality development of education
- Enhancing the health quality of the whole people
- Perfecting the social security system